Mobile Email Benchmarks: YOY Click, Purchase, and Design Trends153 views
The report was based on data from 4Q14 and 4Q13 marketing emails sent via Yesmail’s campaign management platform. The researchers examined year-over-year changes for key metrics such as click-to-open rate (CTO), desktop-to-mobile purchase ratio, average order value, and conversion rate.
Average mobile CTO increased 20% between 4Q13 and 4Q14, and average desktop CTO increased 6%, the analysis found.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
- Mobile conversion rate (purchase resulting from an email click) grew 70% between 4Q14 and 4Q13; the average desktop conversion rate declined 4%.
- Mobile revenue share grew by one-third and made up 20% of all email-generated revenue in 4Q14.
- The share of orders completed on mobile devices grew 21% between 4Q13 and 4Q14, reaching almost one-fourth of all email-generated orders.
- Average order value (AOV) for mobile grew 28%, double the annual growth of desktop AOV.
- The average revenue per mobile email click was 40 cents in 4Q14, compared with 19 cents for desktop clicks.
- Use of smartphones for completing orders went up almost at the exact same rate (8%) that purchases completed on tablets went down (-7%).
- Some 37% of all emails deployed in 4Q14 used responsive design, a 28% increase from the previous quarter.
- CTO for mobile emails was significantly higher (14.1%, on average) for marketers who used responsive design in all of their mailings than those who used it in none of their campaigns (10.1%).
About the research: The report was based on data from 4Q14 and 4Q13 marketing emails sent via Yesmail’s campaign management platform.