Marketing Retargeting: Trends, Benchmarks, and Challenges230 views
Most enterprise marketers (88%) say they are already using digital retargeting to re-engage users who haven’t converted or purchased on initial visits, according to a recent report from Marin Software.
Moreover, of those marketers who do not currently retarget, more than half (56%) say they plan to start within the next 12 months.
The most popular channel for retargeting is display advertising (81% of marketers who retarget use); next is search (77%), followed by social (48%), mobile (32%), and video (21%).
The most popular tools for retargeting come from Google, with 89% of marketers who retarget using the company’s Remarketing Lists for Search Ads (RLSA) and/or the Google Display Network (GDN).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 233 enterprise marketers.
- Half of the marketers surveyed say they do not have a dedicated budget for retargeting.
- 51% report spending 10% or less of their total marketing budget on retargeting.
- More than half respondents expect to increase their retargeting budgets across search, social, and display over the next 12 months.
- Marketers who retarget campaigns across multiple channels see significantly better performance compared with advertisers who only retarget within a single channel.
- For example, in a three-month test conducted by Marin, marketers who simultaneously retargeted on Facebook and display platforms enjoyed higher click-through rates on both channels compared with a cohort of similar marketers who retargeted only on each channel.
- 43% of respondents say understanding and attributing performance across different channels is one of their top three challenges with retargeting.
- 31% say getting sufficient list volume is a major challenge, and 25% struggle with results’ not meeting expectations.